I finished the Torch Island spinning and got a total of 186 yards of 3 ply, approx aran weight. Mr L liked it, so it is to be a hat for him. I began a Noro Hat this afternoon. Halfway up the body, I realise that I am going to be short of yarn.
- Frog it, choose new pattern
- Adapt the pattern to a shape that uses less yarn
- Spin up the small piece of roving that I kept back for felting and hope that provides enough to finish the job (it won’t)
- Get more roving, spin it, knit perfect hat
(4) would be my preferred option but
- Would take time. Supplier is in the States and the first parcel took quite a long time to get here
- Dye lots might not match
- I am not the patient kind
- There’s none in the Etsy shop right now anyway
I really had an ambition to spin, ply, knit – and do the whole job in just a few days as a self-contained project. I feel thwarted.
eBay wrote to Mr L today and gave him a tenner to spend. Know what he’s trying to get? A needle felting tool for me! I love that man. I am sure that I do not deserve him.
Then again, maybe it is a fair swap for a hand-knitted, hand-spun, merino hat?