A pair of hand warmers in laceweight cashmere.
These had been intended as a Christmas gift for my twin, as she has taken up photography, but clearly were going to be much too large for her little hands, so these are now for myself and she shall have some later.
I learned a valuable lesson about not putting projects away for a long sleep – these two mitts are very different from each other, with a completely different tension in the lace. Some projects need a quick run at them, I think, and this is one of them. I elected to block them lightly, in the hope of evening out the differences.
Despite the hiccups, I love them. The cashmere is so soft and warm and the finished objects are highly seductive. There will be more – especially as I have more than half the yarn left, plus another skein in a very pretty blue.
“Petra” for the colour…
Match me such marvel save in Eastern clime,
A rose-red city – half as old as time!
– John William Burgon
- Cast on Date: March 27th, 2008
- Cast on: Long Tail
- Pattern: Alpaca Warmers by Judith DurantÂ
- Pattern Price: from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
- Yarn: Violet Green‘s hand-dyed Cashmere 2ply
- Quality: 100% cashmere
- Weight: 2ply laceweight
- Length: 370m/400 yards per 55g
- Price: Â£9.99 per 100g
- Amount: 23 gms
- Colour: “Berries” – think… red berry sorbet!
- Needles: 2mm rosewood DPNs
- Stitches: as written
- Pattern Repeats: as written
- Modifications: didn’t knit fingers, added 8 rows 2*2 rib to top of hand. Made thumb slightly longer than written (4 rows plus 4 rows 1*1 rib)
- Blocked: lightly
- Finished Size: n/a
- Cast Off: ribwise
- Cast Off Date: February 15th, 2009
- Ravelry Project: Petra-fied hand warmers