Fo: Roger’s Homespun Hat

I met a man at the Sanday Show this year. We spoke of this and that. We admired the sheep. He told me that while he was on holiday here he would like to buy a hat. His ideal hat would be hand-woven or hand-knitted from handspun yarn originating from a local fleece.

He had seen some of my knitted items for sale but nothing quite bitter the bill. I told him that I knew a knitter or two who might be able to help him out and that if they could not, well…. I had a pair of prize-winning skeins in the hall that I could whip up into a hat for him before he left. I asked him what type of hat he wished for aw he said “a traditional Tam”.

My mission to find a ready-made titfer failed, so when I got home from the Show I wound my yarn into a ball and delved into Ravelry.  This is what I came up with – not quite a Tam, but close enough perhaps.

  • Cast on Date: 1st August, 2009
  • Cast on: 1st August 2009
  • Pattern: Moss Stitch Beret by Kent Turman
  • Pattern Price: Free
  • Yarn:
    • Quality: Handspun Shetland Tweed 2 ply
    • Weight: Approx double knitting weight
    • Length: ?
    • Amount: ?
    • Cost:    –
    • Colour: Teddy’s Tweed – mélange of black, dark brown, and light brown fleeces
  • Needles: 4.5 mm and 3.25 mm
  • Stitches: As written
  • Size: As written
  • Blocked: Yes – around a plate
  • Finished Size: Ladies M to L
  • Cast Off: N/A
  • Cast Off Date:1st August 2009
  • Ravelry Project: Roger’s Handspun Hat
A bit small
A bit small

The hat knitted up too small for a man, and Roger was leaving the island on the Monday, so he never got his hat. I’m pleased that I made it though and I would make another. All I can say is that Kent must have a very small head, because I did “get gauge” as they say.  The hat is snug on my head, even after blocking – but I did note (too late) that it is sized at a measly 22″. Even my head is 23.5″, so a large man’s (he was very tall!) must be considerably larger than that. If I make another, I’ll be adding a few stitches.

Apart from sizing issues, the pattern was well-presented and error-free, though I found that the crown-shaping instructions might have been more clearly expressed.