Send for Celia Imrie, forthwith!
I made some Rosemary & Raisin Buns this afternoon. The recipe said to split the dough into 10 or 12 balls. I made a dozen buns, some of which are almost loaf-sized. They are soft and light and fluffy and plate-sized. Think “generous tea cake ” begging for a dollop of Lurpak… such Sunday tea memories of Great Aunt Hilda, bless her.
I followed the recipe almost exactly, but used fresh yeast (50g) in place of dried (4 tsps) and then found that my mix required double the amount of water in order to hold 4 cups of flour. This may account for the size of the buns. It was the quantity of flavouring that nudged me towards increasing the cups of water rather than reducing the cups of flour. This is one of the many reasons that I dislike so many US recipes, give me the accuracy of my weighing scales any day.
Today’s yeast was well in code and proved to be extremely lively – this too will have helped the size of the buns as it certainly was not the rising time accounting for that – I reduced all the times considerably, due to my yeast being so excitable.